Sunday, June 04, 2006

My summer so far can be summed up with 3 words: exercise, guitar and reading, and in roughly that order of priority. I've been scraping together enough discipline to exercise almost every day, either working out at the gym or going running. As far as running is concerned, I'm pretty pleased to be pushing myself past the 5km limit, and for the first time in a couple of years I can regularly run 7-8km without too much problems, although I'm aiming to improve this distance over the summer.

I'm also practising about 10 hours a week on my guitar, which is far more than I've done in at least half a year. In addition, I'm also going to start lessons next Tuesday with a teacher, again something I haven't had in ages. My old teacher, Carlos, doesn't seem to be in London very much now, so I've booked myself some lessons with Graham Devine, a guitarist whom I've heard before on a recording (which I enjoyed). I'm currently learning some new pieces I've wanted to work on for some time, and also polishing some pieces currently in my repertoire.

As for reading, I have about 2 books that are unfinished (one of them a Chinese 'wuxia' martial arts novel), and about 5 other books which are untouched so far, but at the moment I don't seem to be in the mood to do very much reading, but I'll have to go through them sooner or later.

Apart from these, I'm spending my time quite leisurely. Normally, I would consider it a waste of time (!) to hang around with my friends chatting or watching movies, but I guess I can afford to do that this summer, although I'm starting to feel a slight urge to get back to science and learning again.....

No comments: