Wednesday, June 23, 2004

Today afternoon, I opened my email, and there was an email from Scott suggesting that we go watch a baseball game this weekend. It's not too expensive (about $15 for decent seats, compared with about £30 for a ticket to a Premiership match), and it's part of the American experience. However, my Spanish flatmates are flying in this Saturday, so it would be best if we go on Sunday (there are games on both days). I clicked the 'reply' button, and I was about to type in my response when I remembered....Scott was sitting right behing me. Ah...the joys of modern technology :P.

Speaking of modern technology, I can proudly announce that I, too, have managed to crash a Unix machine. It's was on a program that my mentor co-wrote, which models the way radiation from a star travels and gets scattered through a clump of dust surrounding it. I had to select the parameters with which to do the calculations, and I guess I must have chosen something too big for machine to chew on, so the machine just hung. Having said that, I learnt later that even while running properly, it takes absolute ages to run through the calculations. Apparently, even with a blisteringly fast Apple G5, it can take up to a day to crunch its way through complex simulations...

No comments: